A healthy sex life can play a huge role in the physical and emotional wellbeing of a person. Since antiquity, people were looking for specific foods in order to improve their sexual performance and fertility. A great number of different foods have been known to have a proven effect on improving stamina and sex drive. Overall a well working circulatory system is essential for sexual health and the consumption of certain foods can result in better stamina and sex drive. Let’s examine which foods can improve our sexual health.
- Oysters: Oysters have a long-standing reputation as a food with aphrodisiac properties. Scientific results suggested that the reason for having such aphrodisiac properties is the high amount of zinc present in oysters. In fact zinc is known to increase the blood flow which may facilitate a better blood flow to the sex organs and also zinc can regulate testosterone levels. Zinc deficiency has a negative effect on serum testosterone and it can impede spermatogenesis. As zinc cannot be stored in the human body a regular dietary intake is required. Oysters are the richest known food in terms of zinc as they contain more than 900% of your daily value per 100mg. However, if you are not an oyster fan then lobster, crab, red meat and poultry can provide you with sufficient amounts of zinc.
- Salmon: Salmon and other pink-fleshed fishes like sardines and tuna contain a high amount of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids which promote a healthy blood flow and they can also prevent the buildup of plaque in the arteries. Additionally, omega-3 fatty acids have the potential to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and they can also reduce the amount of triglycerides in the blood. By improving the circulatory system, the risk of certain diseases that impair sexual function is also reduced. Apart from omega-3 fatty acids, fish is rich in proteins, iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. It has been recommended by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to consume a minimum of two servings of fish per week.
- Fruits: It has been suggested by researchers that a higher fruit intake may reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction by as much as 14%. The reason is the high flavonoid content of certain fruits. Fruits like berries, grapes, apples and citrus fruits are rich in flavonoids. Watermelon also can improve erections and increase your libido as it contains citrulline which releases amino acids like arginine in the body. Furthermore, beetroots contain high amounts of antioxidants, vitamins and nitrates which could boost sexual performance. Dietary nitrates from beetroot juice can improve blood flow and stamina during sex and they can also improve the heart health overall.
- Meats: Meats are in general protein-rich foods and are known to contain a very rich amino acid profile. Most meats such as beef, chicken and pork contain nutrients such as zinc, carnitine and arginine which improve blood flow. Arginine in particular has been suggested by many different studies that it could help to treat mild to moderate erectile dysfunction.
- Nuts and seeds: A great number of different nuts and seeds such as almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts and hazelnuts to name a few contain high amounts of zinc and agrinine. Walnuts especially are very beneficial as they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, walnuts can improve the quality of sperm and hence they can improve fertility in men.
In conclusion, as there are certain scientifically proven foods which can give a boost to our sexual performance, it is highly recommended to follow a healthy life style. Regular exercise, taking enough sleep, low alcohol computation and a balanced and health diet can improve many aspects of your life.